Police are warning motorists in Andover to ensure their vehicles are kept secure after a spate of thefts in the town.
Over the past month there have been a number of thefts from vehicles – vans in particular – where tools, sat navs and other valuable items have been stolen.
PC Kayleigh Rush said: “These type of thefts can be opportunist so don’t leave valuables in your vehicle if you can help it and certainly don’t leave items on display.”
“If you see anyone acting suspiciously, looking into parked vans or cars, please call us with the information at soon as possible. Equally if you are offered tools for sale in suspicious circumstances, we would also like to hear from you.”
Most recently, vans parked in Pilgrims Way, Valencia Way and Vigo Road have been targeted, and high value tools were taken.
Hampshire Constabulary offers the following advice to motorists:
- Park your vehicle in a secure area (in a garage or behind locked gates, if possible)
- If you do not have a secure parking place, park in a well-lit street in easy view of your own or neighbours’ houses
- Ensure all windows and doors are properly secured when left unattended
- Where possible, remove valuable items from the vehicle overnight and store them in a secure place
- Do not leave tools or equipment on view inside the vehicle
- Consider fitting an appropriate alarm system, protecting the cabin and load areas
- Apply a security marking product to power tools and equipment (further details of the various methods are available on request)
- Alternatively, etch or emboss identifiable marks to these items.
- Consider installing secure storage containers or lockers in the van to store the tools in
- Ensure that the van doors are securely lockable and consider having suitable deadlocks installed
Officers are carrying out dedicated patrols across Andover to help prevent this type of crime. They are also identifying vulnerable vehicles – those left unlocked or with valuables on full display – and contacting the owners to offer suitable advice.
Anyone with any information is asked to contact Andover Police Station on 101 or call the charity Crimestoppers line on 0800 555 111 where information can be left anonymously.