Four people were arrested this morning in connection with an investigation into a number of burglaries that occurred in the Chineham area of Basingstoke – including an 18 year old from Andover.
Officers were called to reports of a burglary at a house in Little Copse Chase, Chineham, shortly after 3.30am today (Tuesday, March 17). Following a number of enquiries and assistance from a police dog, a group of four people were arrested in the area and property was recovered.
A 22-year-old-man from Reading, an 18-year-old woman from Andover, a 17-year-old boy from Reading and a 17-year-old girl from Basingstoke were all arrested and are currently in police custody.
Officers are keen to hear from anyone who might have been in the area at the time and may have seen something suspicious.
Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Northern Investigation Team on 101, quoting 44150090240, or call the charity Crimestoppers line on 0800 555 111, where information can be left anonymously.
Here’s some crime prevention advice which could help stop you becoming a victim of burglary:
- Ensure that your rear fencing is in good repair.
- Ensure that side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property.
- Lock all windows and doors, remembering to double lock UPVC doors (lift handle and turn key).
- Keep all keys out of reach and sight from the letterbox.
- Do not leave ladders and garden tools in your garden, lock them away in your shed.
- Improve natural surveillance at the front of your property i.e. trim high hedges.
- Consider fitting security lighting and a burglar alarm.
- Mark your property with postcode and house number and register your property for free with www.immobilise.com
- Get a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your property.
- Consider joining or forming a Neighbourhood Watch scheme.
- Remove valuables from view of ground floor windows.
- Store any high value items (i.e. jewellery, passports) in a properly secured safe or bank vault.