1) What do you plan on doing for the people of Andover?
See statement below.
2) What have you done for the people of Andover?
See statement below.
3) Why should people vote for you?
See statement below.
Statement from Pat West
As for what I have done for Andover this is subjective as I was elected in 1999 after the death of Cllr Don Bentall Rev Jill Bentalls husband to the seat of Andover North I have to say this was Dons wish I stood and he gave me his list which appears to grow steadily every year
I stayed there until the boundary changes and the new Division of Andover West was formed
This takes in large Rural Area and part of the town
I have ten Parish Council and one Town Council so I have Shipton Bellinger Quarley Kimpton Appleshaw Redenham Fyfield Penton Mewsey Penton Grafton Weyhill Charlton Thruxton and the parishes of Harrow away which includes Saxon Fields so a large area with approx 13thousand constituents who I do endeavoured to meet during the year at social events forums, supporter groups, church services village events etc school events recently the opening of the Jubilee woods Older peoples forum last week
In answerer the charities I support are numerous form small groups of elderly people to lunch clubs to youth groups l also attend Cllrs surgeries on a Saturday morning even if I’m not duty if they need to sees me I will go in and sadly I meet so many people who are in dire straits and need help and naturally working with the MP George Young.
As so many the folk who go along now are needing help advice or guidance or me as their advocate I have over the lasts two years had three hundred case work which I am now sorting out the last two before the election.
I have had the accusation thrown at me Why don’t I stand on the doors step and encourage folk to vote for me with such a large number I would never be of use to the folk who need my help
I apologies if I don’t get to see everyone and its not that I don’t care or are complacent just fact of life and speed we all live at
I am a Governor at Knights Enham, Infants school and have been since 1995 also on the Federation of schools which is the Roman Way , Knights Enham Junior and the the new Endeavour school
I have always supported our special school Icknield and my late husband and I gave the trophy for the end of year presentation
I am often invited to their Christmas performances which are lovely but reminds me how special these young people and their parents are as well as the dedicated staff who work there.
I was a Test Valley valley borough Cllr elected in 1995 for the Harrow way ward and Mayor in 2003/4 then Chairman of the County Council in 2006/7 great privilege as I was third woman in the history of the HCC and just ordinary citizen not landed Gentry or rich person just working mum and grand mother representing the ordinary folk of which I am one no silver spoon in my mouth
During my four years in this administration which will end on May the 2nd I have used my Devolved budget to help many clubs organisation small community groups too numerous to list but just give you a flavour
Andover Sports Club Andover Archery Group Andover Hockey Club Cubs Scouts Beavers etc Youth group at St Michael’s Hall playgroup there at St Micheals,Church , Harrow way, Shipton Bellinger Allotment societies Transitional Trees Andover funded the beautiful Sky Mosaic in the Community Orchard in Topaz drive Many smaller and larger groups Neighbourcare several times VIPs group Youth groups Notice boards benches for the community organised provision of grit bins in the rural areas and Town area where required
Help by giving grants for Village halls and additions for churches to use a community groups and Sports equipment for Village youth groups , environmental things some quite small but making a difference
Flashing Traffic Signs for the villages shared in partnership lots of small grants to help with hearing loops Jubilee celebrations etc this is just a few
I do attend my Ten Parish Council meetings assisting with numerous problems please just check their minuets
Have done presentation to the Town Council on the Role of Health Overview and scrutiny
a committee I chair
I also support and work with Princess Royal Trust of carers who do a wonderful job
I’m a trustee on the Hospice and Chairman of the Cruise Bereavement group my way of saying thank you for all the support I had when my late husband passed way
I support the Andover War Memorial hospital and have done so for many years and am working to get far more consultants and specialist to come to Andover instead of folk travelling to Winchester or Basingstoke
I believe there has been some improvement but room for more since the Merger which is now called Hampshire Hospital Trust who I meet with on a regular basis
I’m able to devote my time to helping groups as I am widow and just me to care for I am lucky I have wonderful supportive family
So local recently helped cook a Sunday lunch at Lion Oak Court sheltered housing complex along the Salisbury Road with Cllr Pam mutton Pam Delderfeild and Social service John Fellows all voluntary we even managed to fund the cost between us
If the accusations are we are not worth the the salary :!! check my expenses you will see I don’t claim any also our so called excessive salaries have been frozen by us for the last four years despite strong recommendations for the Independent Review Panel so I hope that silences the criticisms we are on the gravy train from folk who haven’t done their research properly
So what do I intend to do If have the privilege of being elected
And over and the District will get my commitment to work as hard and maintain my
Mantra :strong local voice for local people ,
I can only do my best :but I intend to
* maintain the High Education standards and Children’s Centres
* High quality services for the young and elderly
* Support across whole of Hampshire the 4 Million to fund the cost of Extra Housing Program we already have seen that here but always room for more this is for elderly frail and dependent citizens
* Improving the health service locally
* to ensure we get some of the £60m million allocated for transport infrastructures and Road maintenance
* maintain our green credential’s in our buildings and offices the County Council is in the top quartile of council who have achieved this and has several awards to prove this
* Broad band to rural areas as many business are suffering and this impacts on the local economy
Please note for clarity The County Council DOES NOT:
- Control the town centre parking or maintain or tidy the town centre neither is in their gift to rejuvenate it
- Influence Housing policy we have 500 hundred nursing beds in homes we built all over Hampshire Willow Court on the Hospital complex was one of the first but Housing policy and provision is Test Valley and the Housing providers ie Aster and Synergy Housing associations
- County council reviews the Roads and engineering works for safer roads in line with the National standards set down and guide lines these are under constant review working in partnership with Test Valley Borough Council and National bodies Consulting all the relevant bodies such as the Police, Fire service British rail ie the Bridge replacement scheme, When change is required planning and the local Citizen’s
- the County council does comply with High national standards and our green credential’s are in top quartile The Queen Elizabeth Court building ahas had several prestigious National awards as have our schools ie the Endeavour school In Andover
- The opening of establishment’s such As Breakers once again does not fall into our remit that is local planning issue
- HCC Apprenticeship scheme is gaining momentum working with providers of service to the County council
Our own Looked after children are prime example of a success story but I agree more needs to be done
thank you for taking the time to read this