1) What do you plan on doing for the people of Andover?
- I will continue to work to achieve the following:
- A better town centre with adequate and affordable parking
- Tidy the High Street and work with all groups to rejuvenate it
- Work with agencies to establish safe and secure employment for Andover people who are finding it hard to get into jobs. Priority should go to people who have lived in Andover or Hampshire for at least 5 years
- Influence Housing Policy to be biased towards Andover/Hampshire residents. Priority should go to people who have lived in Andover or Hampshire for at least 5 years
- To date the County Council has had total disregard for road safety in the area. A priority will be to review all roads, particularly close to schools and places where vulnerable people live.
- The current council has completely failed to scrutinise the finances and spend. The CEO is on a salary in excess of £230,000 per annum when key workers at the bottom of the pay scale have gone without a pay rise for a considerable time. This will be addressed as a matter of urgency
- Local Government buildings should display Energy Efficiency Certificates. In the main they do not because the Council is ashamed of its own efforts. I will ensure the Council embarks on an urgent review of energy waste across the County, with the potential to save millions
- With the experience of running a business in the Town, I know the importance of making every penny count. I don’t believe the current Council members do. They are lacking in vision and self-serving.
- One of the projects that I will be supporting is the re-opening of Breakers. If we are going to achieve this, it will take all of the hard work already being done, with much more in the way of support from the Council
- I wil be entitled to a £12,003 allowance from Hampshire County Council,if elected I shall donate the full amount of this allowance to Andover Neighbourcare.
2) What have you done for the people of Andover?
- I have campaigned hard to rejuvenate the town centre, putting pressure on TVBC to instigate the Town Summits
- I set up a Town Forum, which included councillors David Drew and Katherine Bird.
- Supported Neighbour Care by providing Appeal advertising, using my own advertising space on an ongoing basis, to create awareness of the funding cuts
- I have put together a full programme of events for the coming year to raise money for Neighbour Care including financial support for “It’s a Knockout”
- I have worked with the Technical College to provide safe, secure and appropriate apprenticeships for 4 young men from Andover this year alone. I will continue to support the college in any way I can
- I have opposed and will continue to oppose inappropriate planning applications such as the Gaming site in the High Street
- I have had regular meetings with Hampshire Police from Constable level up to the Commissioner to help the community reduce crime
- I have personally supported vulnerable people who have been the victims of crime including assisting a widow in her 80s move home after she was burgled
3) Why should people vote for you?